On May 22, 2009, at 1:46 AM, Daniel López wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Now that version 4.0.0 has been released, I've tried again to
> integrate
> Resin into the Wembed project, which uses embedded container engines
> facilitate automatic testing and I can happily confirm that version
> 4.0.0 works fine :). Just some minor issues:
>
> .- The default logging level is a bit verbose, as it is set at the
> info
> level and each line is doubled, as it is set to showing the full
> name of
> the class and the method from which the trace originated. Like:
> ---
> 22-may-2009 10:31:12 com.caucho.server.cluster.Server start
> INFO: resin.conf = null
> 22-may-2009 10:31:12 com.caucho.server.cluster.Server start
> INFO:
> 22-may-2009 10:31:12 com.caucho.server.cluster.Server start
> INFO: server     = 127.0.0.1:0 (:)
> --
> Is there any place where I can configure, more or less easily, the
> default logging level in an embedded instance?

I've added a bug report for this.  It's been something that's been
bugging me a bit.  For normal Resin, we take control of the logging as
soon as it's launched (so you could duplicate that -D... header), but
we don't have a clean way of managing the logging if we're not in
control at the start.

> .- The embedded engine requires a JDK for compiling as it needs a Java
> compiler, but... is it possible to configure it to use an "embedded
> compiler" like Apache Jasper or similar so it can be packed with the
> engine?

I'm not sure I understand.  Jasper is the JSP implementation.  It
isn't a compiler.

You can bundle Resin with the eclipse compiler.  We already have a
compiler="eclipse" option.

> It's not a big problem, but usually the default behaviour for
> .jar files, at least in Windows, is to be run with the JRE, and that
> implies that, by default, Resin chokes whereas Jetty and Tomcat do
> not.
> It's "the user's fault" but in any case I would like to be able to
> make
> Resin easier for "the average Joe" to use.
>
> .- Las issue is a licencing one. Resin's license is GPL, so I cannot
> pack it with the regular release, as the project is under the LGPL.
> But
> I could create a different package with the resin libs and with the
> single Java file that start/stops the server and is called through a
> neutral interface, and release that class under the GPL. Would that be
> ok for you, Caucho? The thing is that I want to promote Resin and I
> want
> to make it easy for users to test their applications with it, but I
> don't want to run into any legal trouble :). Packaging it with the
> default release would be great, Jetty and Tomcat 5.5 are already
> included, but that won't work so having an optinal package would be
> second best. I don't think getting users to download the .jar files
> themselves and putting them in the appropriate places would make it
> too
> popular. So, is the separate package and acceptable option for you
> guys?

That sounds fine.

-- Scott