On Jul 21, 2009, at 11:39 AM, .pQd wrote:

> hi!
>
> from time to time [ say every 1000th request to one specific
> servlet ] i see
> following exception in resin stdout.log:
>
> [18:33:06.628] [18:33:06.628] {http--8080-19}
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Connection null was not closed.
> Connections
> must have a close() in a finally block.

> i'm quite sure that my servlet closes connections properly including
> cases
> when exceptions are thrown. i'm quite puzzled especially with
> "Connection
> null was not closed." part.

The null is strange.  Is there a chance that the connection could be
passed from one thread to another?

> i'm running resin 4.0, i also tried this with 4.0 snapshot
> [ 2009.07.21 ].
>
> can you give any hints how can i trace source of this problem?

If you look further down in the log, you should see that a second
failure saves the allocation stack trace.

In other words, once Resin has detected a connection-close issue, it
starts gathering the stack trace when the connection is allocated.
The next time it sees the failure, it will write the allocation to the
log (it will be an IllegalStateException.)  At very least, that should
let you know which Connection is causing trouble.

-- Scott