Yea, just cause Hibernate has that feature doesn't mean it is a good
feature. =) You may want to consider the  DTO pattern...
http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/TransferObject.html

I've found that over time, the pain of creating and dealing with DTO's is
mitigated by the cleanliness of it and you don't run into weird issues like
you are running into...

jon