As a longtime J2EE developer, let me suggest that life is far more
pleasant if you abandon the atrocious EAR packaging morass and build
your applications in one or more WARs.  Just put all your classes in
WEB-INF/classes (ejbs, servlets, etc), make sure you have
WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/beans.xml and
WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/ejb-jar.xml, and it all works the way you
would expect.

Note that separate WARs will be in separate classloader scopes, so
inter-WAR calls will be Hessian not local method calls.  But this
makes life a lot easier when you want to relocate a WAR to a different
server.

Jeff