Many firewalls can only block 256 ip's at a time. It becomes an expensive
process for them to do packet inspection at that layer. You also need to
setup a system to figure out which ip's to block and then pass those to the
firewall. In my experience, this was a failable system because as soon as
you block an IP, you could be potentially blocking a LOT of ip's if you
block the wrong NAT gateway. =) You don't want to lock out the wrong people.

I built a system like this for my last company called the
'autocockblocker'... it looked for attempts at repeated login/registration
attempts and would tell the firewall to IP block those people... we ended up
having to pretty much turn it off cause of the NAT issue.

Really though, there are large companies (aka: cisco... aka
http://www.ironport.com/) that make products that do exactly what you are
proposing. I don't see a reason to do this within an app container like
resin. That said, the utility of these products is always questionable....
if you have vectors in your application that are open for attack and thus
needs a product like this, you probably have bigger issues anyway. =)

jon