In the servlet that receives the request, you can get the current uri:
request.getRequestURI() and check if it is "/" or more. the
servlet-mapping cannot help you here because you're at the site root.

one more thing, as you cannot redirect "/" in the conf, what I've done
is putting a simple code in the very first line of the main index.jsp :

<%UrlManager.in.process_index(request,response);%>

This way every request on "/" will be processed also by the url manager.

--
Riccardo Cohen
Architecte du Logiciel