Hi, Thanks for the replies. I don't think there's a leak unless it
manifests itself only very occasionally. The stats now are Active 6,
Idle 133, Created 0.02% (757 / 3.3M), Failed 0, max-connections 256,
idle time 30000. The active count is not increasing.

The driver type in the pool definition is
com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlConnectionPoolDataSource. The
connector/j version is mysql-connector-java-5.0.8-bin.jar. I'm
interested that you mention a known issue with mysql - could we be
seeing that possibly? Is there a fix, or somewhere I can learn about
the issue?

The puzzling thing is that as far as I can see from the thread lists,
when these freezes happen, there is no runnable thread in any of our
code at all - just the threads waiting on the lock. MySQL show
processlist also claims its idle.

Thanks again.
Steven