We had that issue when using jsp:include (jsp:include content wouldn't get
UTF-8 encoded), but switching it out for c:import worked.  Not sure if this
applies in your case, but if the copyright is jsp:include'd you might try to
c:import and see if you get different results.  No matter what you did in
the highest level JSP (the controller if you will) it didn't encode stuff
brought in via the jsp:include.  I thought that had been fixed at one point,
but possibly not.

Aaron