Hi. I'm running resin 4.0.32 (?) on a couple of virtual hosts at Rackspace on
Ubuntu. These are small machines, 512 MB of RAM, but they're pretty much only
running their resin (free) instance.

I'm doing some rudimentary load testing with JMeter. I have a script that makes
three calls to the REST service implemented in my webapp. When I try to do 1000
simultaneous connections (via round-robin load balancing onto two nodes, so
figure ~500 near-simultaneous connections), my app starts throwing exceptions
about not being able to open connections to the DB:

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: User gcs
already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

So, clearly I need to expand the DB's capabilities.

But JMeter also reports a nunch of these:

<httpSample t="1" lt="0" ts="1355286080856" s="false" lb="HTTP Request" rc="Non
HTTP response code: java.net.SocketException" rm="Non HTTP response message:
Too many open files" tn="Thread Group 1-918" dt="text" by="1436"/>

My configuration is basically out-of-the-box resin.xml.

I can increase the amount of RAM available, there's no session state being
stored. I'm wondering what config settings to look into increasing (number of
threads? Connections allowed?) Any guidance on how much RAM one needs for a
given number of threads and connections?

Sorry for the rudimentary question, but this is the first time I've been
responsible for making sure our web app stays up, and I don't have a good idea
how many requests we might need to support.

Thanks!

--
Rick