On 4/7/14, 1:08 AM, Mattias Jiderhamn wrote:
> I have a couple of outstanding issues in Mantis (that I have not posted
> about on the mailing list), that seems to have gotten no attention from
> Caucho at all. The oldest one is almost 5 months.
>
> Actually, I'm getting the impression that the development of Resin has
> slowed down considerably in the last year or so. The version history /
> change log (http://caucho.com/resin-4.0/changes/changes.xtp) confirms
> this. The no of releases per year has decreased from 11 releases in 2011
> and 9 in 2012 to 5 last year and none so far this year.
>
> Would you please care to inform the community what Cauchos current focus
> and intention for Resin is, and what the release schedule for 2014 looks
> like?

Resin 5/Baratine basically is the focus. We're trying to get out a
usable alpha.

Our current target for the first alpha is end of Q2.

Unlike Resin 4 where the early releases forced early adopters to adapt
to the large changes and refactors, we decided to hold Resin 5 internal
until we have a clean and relatively stable release.

The changes internally are fairly major (hopefully the externals will
not look that major, except for a simplification in deployment,
particularly in cloud environments.)

For example:

   * The internal database for distributed caching/sessions is
completely revamped to a more modern architecture, because the old one
wasn't scaling under heavy load.
   * HTTP/2.0, including using HTTP/2.0 for load balancing (it's more
efficient than the older HMUX).
   * Internal service model revamped from BAM to Baratine, using what we
learned from Resin 4.
   * Cloud/clustering messaging revamp, again based on experience with
Resin 4.
   * Dynamic server/heartbeat revamp.
   * Distribution/config simplification.
   * Updates to web profile specs.
   * Substantial accumulated technical debt cleanup.

-- Scott