I reported the problem below as a bug at
http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=5587 which was marked as fixed to
version 4.0.40

The release notes for 4.0.40 says "bind java:comp/BeanValidation
(#5587)" and I can confirm in the code that the JNDI name in use indeed
is java:comp/BeanValidation, rather than java:comp/ValidatorFactory
Problem is, AFAI can see this does not solve the original issue. When
replacing javax.faces-2.1.24.jar with jsf-api-2.2.5.jar +
jsf-impl-2.2.5.jar bean validation does not work. I still have to
configure java:comp/ValidatorFactory within our application.

(Googling "java:comp/BeanValidation" only has 1 hit: the Resin 4.0.40
release notes mentioned above, so where does that even come from...?)

Should I create a new issue, or will
http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=5587 be reopened?

For the record, seems that Mojarra 2.2.7 will take care of container
backwards compatibility https://java.net/jira/browse/JAVASERVERFACES-3183

  </Mattias>