RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Saturday 6 December 2023  Volume 34 : Issue 02

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, founder and still moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/34.02>
The current issue can also be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Boeing has a risk managment problem with the 737 Max (BBC)
Human Error Likely Caused Subway Crash and Derailing, Officials
 Say (The New York Times)
Museum World Hit by Cyberattack on Widely Used Software (Zachary Small)
Teen traveling alone on Frontier Airlines from Tampa accidentally flown to
 Puerto Rico (NBC News)
Kai Zhuang: Chinese teen found alive in U.S. after cyber-kidnapping (BBC)
How the federal ban on Chinese drones could end up costing lives (UAV Coach)
Fire Breaks Out Aboard Ship Carrying Lithium-Ion Batteries (NYTimes)
Are Teslas the most or least safe vehicles? (Sam Bull)
Theft of Vancouver rape crisis centre server containing sensitive data
 raises privacy concerns (CBC)
23andMe told victims of data breach that suing is futile, letter shows
 (Ars Technica)
BGP tampering: A "ridiculously weak" password causes disaster for Spain's
 No. 2 mobile carrier (Ars Technica)
Qualcomm chip vulnerability enables remote attack by voice call (SC Media)
Google disabling third-party cookies for millions of users without informing
 them (Lauren Weinstein)
Weizenbaum’s nightmares: how the inventor of the first chatbot turned
 against AI (The Guardian)
A Chevrolet dealer offered an AI chatbot on its website. It told customers
 to buy a Ford. (USA Today)
AI’s big test: Making sense of $4 trillion in medical expenses (Politico)
A hospital's false death announcement leads to a wife's suicide, husband is
 later found alive (BoingBoing)
Dystopian past...and future (The Guardian)
Wife of Investor Who Pushed for Harvard President’s Exit Is Accused of
 Plagiarism (NYTimes)
The NY Times Lawsuit Against OpenAI Would Open Up The NY Times To All Sorts
 Of Lawsuits Should It Win (Mike Masnick)
Wiki[d]pedia? (Stephen Mason)
How Tracking and Technology in Cars Is BeingWeaponized by Abusive Partners
 (The New York Times)
Researchers Suggest New AirTag Stalker Preventions That Balance Privacy
 (PCMag)
Re: AI in the Machine Internet (Martin Ward)
Re: Do you need git or Subversion (Dmitri Maziuk)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)