Tue, 16 May 2023 10:34:49 -0400
Ted Felix <t...@tedfelix.com> :

>    There are three issues here.  Two are unrelated to the crash, but
> I'll walk through them in case you want to fix them.
>
>  > Cannot lock down 86611866 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
>  > Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/5)(1: Operation not permitted)
>  > JackClient::AcquireSelfRealTime error
>
>    This indicates that you don't have permissions configured so that
> JACK can run in real-time and lock down fixed memory areas to do its
> job.  This isn't likely to be the cause of the crash you are
> experiencing.  More likely it would cause audio glitches.  I have a
> webpage that addresses this issue if you are interested in understanding
> and fixing it:
>
> http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html

Thanks a gig for the detailed response.

# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 6.2.10-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Apr  6
10:36:55 UTC 2023 (ba7816e) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

>  > [AlsaDriver] setCurrentTimer(): WARNING: using system timer with only
>   > 250 Hz resolution!
>
>    This indicates that you are not running with a real-time kernel.
> This can lead to latency and timing issues, but like the above, it's not
> likely to cause a crash.  Again, my webpage above explains how to solve
> this issue.

# grep ^CONFIG_HZ /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_HZ_250=y
CONFIG_HZ=250

So does this mean that I do have a low-latency but not real-time kernel?

The issue raised is encountered in Suse-Leap.
Rosegarden ran fine before so I presume all the
configs WERE correct at one time, but usually
after a number of upgrades the segfaults begin,
there is no crash, just no takeoff even.

Thanks for the ref, the second half is way over
my head but I'll keep it for re-reading. Leap-15.5
is out in a few weeks, a fresh install or upgrade
might do the trick. It will be the last 'Leap'
as it has been known.