> On 7/14/23 18:25, r...@hydrophones.com wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm getting the following error message when I try to activate recording
>> on an audio track:
>>
>> "audio subsystem not available - can't record audio"
>>
>> in a window that has the header:
>>
>> Rosegarden (as superuser)
>>
>> This is happening with Rosegarden Version 23.06 "Flutterbye"
>> Build Key 13280f9033
>> Qt Version 5.15.9
>>
>> Running under Pop!_OS 20.10 Linux with
>> QjackCtl Version 0.5.0
>> Qsynth Version 0.6.3
>> Using FluidSynth 2.1.3
>>
>> QjackCtl and Qsynth are working and sound fine.  Qsynth's audio outputs
>> show up on QjackCtl's patchbay but no audio inputs to Rosegarden appear.
>> All the MIDI ins and outs seem to be working fine.
>>
>> The "self-recording" feature of Rosegarden used to work.  Is this a bug?
>> Is there a workaround?  I used to use it to record (with perfect
>> synchronization) track by track, and sometimes double track, various
>> patches and synths.
>>
>> Thanks for all you do, and in advance,
>>
>> r...@hydrophones.com
>>
> Hmm, my understanding is that the general recommendation is that
> Rosegarden (and other audio applications) *should not be run as
> superuser*. In other words, create an ordinary user login and use that.
>
> In general, running as superuser is a great big security hole...
>
> --
> David W. Jones
> gn...@hawaii.rr.com
> authenticity, honesty, community
> http://dancingtreefrog.com
> "My password is the last 8 digits of π."

Hi all,

In further bizarre behavior, if I type the command rosegarden in a
terminal, rosegarden comes up but NOT in superuser mode, if I then import
a rg file, it seems to come up normally which contrasts that if I mouse
click on an rg file it brings up rosegarden in superuser mode!

In any event, in either mode I get the message "audio subsystem not
available - can't record audio" from Rosegarden.

However, I can record into Audacity, but then how do I synchronize it if I
do several tracks at different times, i.e. not everything in one go?

Thanks again for looking into this,

r...@hydrophones.com