Thanks great!!!.

Yadi

On 05/12/2015 05:19 AM, Wayne Davison wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 12:50 AM, yhu2 <yadi...@windriver.com <mailto:yadi...@windriver.com>> wrote:

    whether or not  CVE-2014-8242 affects rsync? any commnet would be
    appreciated!!

Yes. It would be extremely hard for someone to trigger that via indirect means (such as inserting DB data and managing to match a checksum record boundary in contents somehow). So, it has a very small potential to cause a particular file to fail to transfer with a bad file-checksum. I've made a simple change that should avoid the issue:

https://git.samba.org/?p=rsync.git;a=commit;h=eac858085e3ac94ec0ab5061d11f52652c90a869

With the seed value moved to the right spot, an attacker can't craft a false-match record that works for any transfer. And the truly paranoid can use the --checksum-seed=NUM option with their own random-for-each-transfer value, should they think that rsync's seed method is too simplistic.

I also plan to add a new checksum method, but that shouldn't be needed for thwarting this issue.

..wayne..