I have searched a little and read the man page but I can't really find
a good definite answer to this.

Can rsync write to a FIFO?  Obviously one needs the --inplace to do
this, does one also need --write-devices?

It would be very handy if one can do this, to use as a simple message
passing mechanism.  Write something to a file on system A and rsync it
to a FIFO on system B where there is a simple script reading the FIFO.
The script gets the contents of the file every time it's written.

(this is all within a LAN behind a reasonably secure firewall)

--
Chris Green