On 06/29/2018 09:02 PM, David Lang wrote:
One other thing that I would like to see is an example of "I have the namespace and pod name for this log, now go fetch the data from the API for me".

When does that happen?  That is, what is the use case when you are not immediately trying to annotate the log record after reading it from the kubernetes/container log file, or from journal?

It's trying to see if there is a way to avoid writing it to a log file and then reading it, or sending it through the journal.

If the log can be delivered directly to rsyslog from docker, that should be the fastest and most efficient thing to do.

Currently, the only way to get the correct kubernetes metadata associated with each log record is to use docker with log-driver json-file or journald, or use cri-o with the file log driver. If you were to write some sort of log driver for docker or cri-o, which would send logs directly to rsyslog (e.g. imfwd), you would need some way for docker/crio to add the kubernetes metadata to each log record.