On 2/5/19 2:40 AM, Peter Viskup via rsyslog wrote:
To be honest,
the main reason Debian chosen rsyslog as primary syslog daemon was
that it does work with "standard syslog" configuration (more
information can be read on https://wiki.debian.org/Rsyslog ).
Nevertheless in newest versions of rsyslog you are always recommended
to move to "rainer-script" configuration.

Latest open-sourced versions of syslog-ng provide the TLS encryption
for message forwarding.

Have a look on comparison of syslog-ng releases to have some quick reference.
https://www.balasys.hu/en/network-security/syslog-ng/opensource-logging-system/features/comparison

Both provide "reliable" syslog forwarding. Rsyslog open-sourced,
syslog-ng closed-sourced within enterprise support.

If your budget is large enough, you can pay for enterprise support.
https://www.rsyslog.com/professional-services/enterprise-support/
https://support.oneidentity.com/syslog-ng-premium-edition

 From my feeling on rsyslog it seems that this project has serious
issues with project management. More regression occur last year, even
last stable versions were released with serious bugs. But that's fruit
of our today's "agile development" mania.

I can appreciate from your statements that you appear to be frustrated with the direction that rsyslog has taken recently, but these are pretty serious accusations to level against the rsyslog team based on pure conjecture or "feelings", as well as blatant advertising for a competitive commercial product, and not even giving Adsicon an equal opportunity for pointing out that they also provide commercial support for rsyslog.

There are long standing
issues with TLS encryption still waiting for fix. Even when not having
experience with syslog-ng in large environments, it seems to me like
more mature project. Last year the Balabit company (originated in
Hungary), responsible for syslog-ng development, was bought by One
Identity.
https://www.oneidentity.com/balabit-acquisition/

To have a better feeling, you can check the list of issues for both projects
https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/issues
https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues

Also keep in mind that this is not necessarily an "apples to apples" comparison - it is but one data point among many, many others to use to compare the products.  And even this one source of data must be carefully filtered in terms of user base, usage, feature set, etc.  For example, rsyslog is used by _every single_ RHEL7/CentOS7 system _by default_, out of the box, and has been part of RHEL/CentOS/Fedora for many years, so it has the full support of Red Hat and a dedicated team of rsyslog maintainers who file and fix bugs upstream.  Another way of thinking about this is that if you are a RHEL user, you are already paying for rsyslog with your subscription.

After that you might be able to do serious decision.

Peter

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 7:46 AM vishal via rsyslog