On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Bizt <martyn....@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the book it demonstrates very well how to sign users up, validate, etc.
> Usually in my PHP apps I have a process of allowing the user to signup, then
> they are sent a link to confirm their email address, then (from that link in
> the email) they can activate their account. In the backend, I use two tables
> - user_pending (for users who have signed up, but not yet activated their
> account), and user (for activated users). I decided a while back that I
> would use two tables as I didn't want the user table to get bogged down with
> users who never activate their account. Perhaps this is not too important,
> and I'm giving myself more work.

I agree with Fredrick that this is a very premature optimization,
considering it will not hurt your tables at all and by the time it
does you will know enough to partition or shard or both and even if it
wasn't two tables is an excessive waste.  To me the idea should never
to remove a user if they are not "validated" but simply to limit their
actions and annoy them (not by email, with a big ass annoying yellow
box on the site,) which can all be done on a single table.

We don't remove users (valid or not) unless they explicitly request
(because it's only fair that if I collect data on them they have the
right to remove it -- irregardless of what the law says it's a moral
decision we make.)

The moral of the story is that if you have one or two tables you are
still going to have to hit the db to clean up if you need to clean up,
why make it a separate table at that point when you can just adjust
the where clause to check another column that is a boolean field?
That's useless decoupling.