Without seeing the task I can't tell you the answer to that. And the fact that
it runs on a cron schedule means that you probably have something like a worker
in the background doing that.

Normally you run

rake some_task X="abc" Y="xyz"

where X and Y are arguments being passed in.

But note that you probably want to prefix the rake task in development with
"bundle exec" to get it to run with the right gemset.

-Jason

On Nov 18, 2014, at 3:33 PM, Robert Fitzpatrick <rob...@webtent.org> wrote:

> Jason Fleetwood-Boldt wrote:
>> Finally, you probably almost certainly don't want to be running
>> RAILS_ENV="production" if you are developing locally on your own
>> machine. And learn to use a debugger-- I recommend byebug if you're
>> using Ruby 2.0 or above, and put "byebug" at the top of your rake task.
>> Then just run your rask task and verify that you fall into the debugger.
>> (I'm telling you this as a sanity check methodology because you are
>> trying to verify that you know how to run the task)
>
> Thanks for the info and help. The app is on ruby 1.9.3, I was running rake on
> the production machine. I downloaded the app and have it running locally, but
> there are some display issues with development, so I was running production.
>
> I see the task is running via cron every hour, it talks to an ftp server and
> gets a file list, then creates playlist files from the list of MP3 files it
> finds. I see the task has a lot of puts when 'ARGV = V', should I be able to
> run the task with the following command?
>
> # rake utils:process_archive V'

----

Jason Fleetwood-Boldt
t...@datatravels.com
http://www.jasonfleetwoodboldt.com/writing

All material © Jason Fleetwood-Boldt 2014. Public conversations may be turned
into blog posts (original poster information will be made anonymous). Email
ja...@datatravels.com with questions/concerns about this.