Hello all,

As some of the new Category code was introduced to Sage, the convention
was preserved from MuPAD of referring to a 'monomial' as a 'coefficient'
times a 'term'.  Unfortunately, this conflicted with the existing Sage
convention of referring to a 'term' as a 'coefficient' times a
'monomial'.  As the Category code is fairly new, the decision was made
to switch notations to be consistent with the rest of Sage.  (See the
recent 'Category Questions' thread in this group and sage-devel thread
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/5bea6f58e29e75f6/66f809ee62453885
for details).

How will this affect you?  It could affect your private code, or code
you have on the sage-combinat server.  The goal is for this change to be
in Sage 4.3.2, so any private code you have that uses constructions like
'f.term(i)' or 'f.monomial(key, coeff)' will have to be changed with
that release.  Basically, all you will need to do is swap the names
'term' and 'monomial' everywhere you see them, with two exceptions that
I can think of:  the names 'repr_term' and 'monomial_coefficients' have
not been changed.  You can test your code by using the sage-combinat
code, and making sure the patch 'swap_term_and_monomial-jb.patch' is
applied.

As for code on the server, those patches that are below the
swap_term_and_monomial patch (ie, applied earlier) do not need to be
touched--any instances are fixed by my patch.  For later patches, I
*think* I've found all patches that will now have problems.  Here is the
list of them by owner, along with what has been done:

Brant:
affinization-bj.patch:  I didn't touch this patch because it was
guarded, but it looks like there is one instance of '.term' in the
patch.  It should be changed to '.monomial'.

crystals_alcove_path_model_bj.patch: A patch called
'crystals_alcove_path_model_fix_jb.patch' has been placed just after
this.  Brant, the next time you work with this patch, you should fold my
patch in with it. Or just ask me, and I'll do it.

Valentin:
group_algebras_feature_central_6654_vf.patch:  As this was guarded
against 4.2.1, I didn't touch it.  If this patch is still being worked
on, let me know and I will provide a fix patch.

Nicolas:
categories-ncsf-nt.patch: Fixed in place
j-trivial-nt.patch: Fix patch added to queue
semigroups_and_algebras-nt.patch: Fix patch added to queue

If you have questions about any of this, here is a good place to ask.
Otherwise, I apologize for the disruption, but I hope that consistency
with Sage will save us from a lot frustration in the future.

Cheers,
Jason