I've been wondering lately about the design choice of having all of the
various categories accessible at the top-level in Sage. Would it be
preferable to have a catalog of categories accessible via
"categories.AdditiveMagmas()", etc.? Having more than 50 categories could
be viewed as polluting the top-level. I certainly notice that when I hit
the TAB key, I often see a bunch of categories in the list of possible
completions, and I never actually use them, despite the fact that
categories and functors underlie much of my research. Of course, I'm
probably missing something. How often do people use these in Sage, and how
much of an inconvenience would it be if you had to prefix them with
"categories." each time?

Oh, and just to be clear, I am not volunteering to make any necessary
changes. Nor am I against the status quo: I'm genuinely curious about the
best approach here.

--
John