Hi Bob,

Mathematically, a classical example of a graded object is a polynomial
ring, and non-topologists often consider nonhomogeneous polynomials, for
reasons that are beyond me. But once you do that, it seems that you're
forced to live in a direct sum. Sage could have two different structures,
although they would need names: an indexed family of objects and a direct
sum of objects. I don't really want to start a fight over which deserves to
be called "graded objects," though.

Let me go back to a question I asked Sverre: what happens in your code if
you allow nonhomogeneous elements? It may not be something you would ever
want to do, but maybe it would just work without breaking anything, then
that's an easy way around.

- John