Hi everybody,

I'm currently in the progress of cleaning up my code implementing
symplectic structures in sage. While doing so, I noticed that there are a
lot of doctests in the existing code that test rather elementary things.
These are often not utterly important for a user of the method, but are
rather unit tests that verify the correct behavior in some edge case. For
this reason, I wanted to move these doctests to unittests - where I then
realized that the `tests` folder is almost empty. So obviously I'm missing
something here.

Finding almost no unit tests in sage made me a bit uncertain, and I did a
bit of research. The general opinion (for example echoed in
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/361675/python-doctest-vs-unittest)
seems to be that doc tests are there to verify that the documentation is
correct (in sync with the implementation) while unit tests make sure that
the code is correct. This also make sense since you usually don't want to
bloat the documentation with edge cases, and IDEs have limited supported
for doctests while unit tests get all the support of normal python code,
including debugging etc.

So what's the sage convention concerning unit tests vs doctests?