PPS: Just FYI, before the above snippet was roughed in, "make configure"
from "$SAGE_ROOT" with embedded spaces indicates
that "$SYSTEM_PACKAGES_FILE" need be properly quoted in
"build/bin/sage-get-system-packages" and "src/doc/bootstrap", at least(?)

It couldn't be figured out why tons of sed 's complaints (related to the
pathname with spaces) come from:

(echo ".. _spkg_$PKG_BASE:" && echo && OUTPUT_RST=1 sage-spkg-info
"$PKG_BASE") | sed -e
"s|https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/\([0-9]*\)|:trac:\`\1\`|g"
-e "s|https://arxiv.org/abs/cs/\([0-9]*\)|:arxiv:\`cs/\1\`|g" >
"$OUTPUT_DIR"/$PKG_BASE.rst

Any help is much appreciated.

*<src/doc/bootstrap>*
for PKG_BASE in $(sage-package list --has-file SPKG.rst | sort); do
            PKG_SCRIPTS=build/pkgs/$PKG_BASE
            # Instead of just copying, we may want to call
            # a version of sage-spkg-info to format extra information.
            # for sphinx 4.4 we need to replace all direct links by some
"extlink" (ticket 33272)

            (echo ".. _spkg_$PKG_BASE:" && echo && OUTPUT_RST=1
sage-spkg-info "$PKG_BASE") | sed -e "s|
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/\([0-9]*\)|:trac:\`\1\`|g" -e "s|
https://arxiv.org/abs/cs/\([0-9]*\)|:arxiv:\`cs/\1\`|g" >
"$OUTPUT_DIR"/$PKG_BASE.rst
            echo >> "$OUTPUT_INDEX" "   $PKG_BASE"