It's  Buridan's ass situation with
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/34152
- we have two competing solutions there, and cannot move with any of these.
Other reviewers of this ticket somehow think it will solve itself.

The root cause of this is the idiotic gnulib state of affairs - gnulib does
not provide an install target, it did not have any releases for years,
although it is actively updated - it literally wants users to vendor huge
chunks of itself, for reasons unclear to me.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2022, 23:10 Nils Bruin, <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> For other people who may run into this, it seems that `./bootstrap -D`
> avoids this bug. I have no idea what it does
>
> why? it is documented in bootstrap...

 -- nor what the original problem is,  but it was mentioned somewhere in
> another thread where someone expressed their exasperation with another
> break in the build-system.
>
> For Dima/Matthias and the other people responsible for breaking the build
> process:
> I understand that betas are not release quality, but they are what people
> have to work with to base merge trees for tickets on (or, for that matter,
> the develop tree in general!). So, if a change is found to break building
> under normal circumstances, *back it out* and only re-merge it once it's
> solved! It looks like the break was encountered in beta4, so it should have
> been rolled back with beta5 until solved. We're on beta8 now. That's 4 beta
> releases where people were locked out of being able to build the tree.
> That's serious harm to normal development processes.
>
> I have a very standard build environment of Fedora 36 with all the system
> packages installed that are recommended for sage, so if this is breaking
> for me, it's breaking for a *lot* of people.

hmm, no, you mist probably don't have gettext installed.