Hi all,

The current sagemath docker images are based on Ubuntu 21.10 (Impish Indri) which is not supported anymore since august. In particular this prevents from upgrading/installing new packages on the image (cf logs below).

Is there any reason to stick to 21.10 ? I'm cloning sage to see if I manage to build a docker image with ubuntu 22.04. Is there anything I need to know before proceeding ?

Martin

martin@mylaptop $ sudo docker run --entrypoint '/bin/bash' -it sagemath/sagemath:9.5
sage@4b1d52bfc387:~$ sudo apt-get update
Ign:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish InRelease
Ign:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-updates InRelease
Ign:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-backports InRelease
Err:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 185.125.190.36 80]
Err:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-updates Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 185.125.190.36 80]
Err:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-backports Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 185.125.190.36 80]
Ign:7 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security InRelease
Err:8 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.38 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish Release' does not have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. E: The repository 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-updates Release' does not have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. E: The repository 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-backports Release' does not have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. E: The repository 'http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security Release' does not have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.