On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 14:04:24 UTC-7 dim...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2022, 21:56 Nils Bruin, <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
>
>> I'd actually be interested in knowing what the substitute for "git trac
>> checkout ..." is. Because with trac, all ticket branches are present in the
>> "trac" repository, you can pull anything from there. If I have to
>> merge/pull from developer branch, do I need to add another remote to my
>> local sage git repository? That sounds very laborious. Particularly for how
>> to keep it up-to-date.
>>

> No, you don't need to add the remote of the author of the PR, because the
> PR is a branch in the main repo.
>
> git-trac's functionality is provided by cli, a command line tool ftom
> GitHub, so this is all covered (except parts of git-trac only used by
> Volker-but you don't need to worry about this)
>
> it's explained in some detail in docs prepared by Matthias.
>
> Yes, indeed. "gh pr checkout"
(https://cli.github.com/manual/gh_pr_checkout) looks like pretty much like
an exact analogue for "git trac checkout"

What I was not able to find, though, was the equivalent of "git trac push",
which can sometimes be very convenient for making a small friendly
amendment to a proposed change. I would not expect to be able to push to
someone else's fork (I cannot push to someone else's branch on trac
anyway), but I can of course push to my own branch -- git-trac in that
situation pushes to a branch in my name and does the required magic to tie
that branch to the relevant ticket.

It's not clear to me yet what the github analogue of that would be ... I
guess a different "pr" could be tied to a given issue. But in that case, a
direct analogue of "git trac" would focus on "issues", and pull the
currently registered "pr" for a given issue and tie my new branch as a "pr"
to that issue if I want to make a change to a ticket.

Perhaps it's nice to address how to "make a friendly amendment" to someone
else's "pr" or "issue", or how to collaborate on tickets/issues/pr's . In
my work on trac tickets that happened quite a bit and "git trac
checkout/push" makes the workflow superconvenient for that. It would be
nice to have a convenient convention on how to replicate that on github.