Thanks.

In my code, this backwards incompatibility breaks over
150 calls to Graph.vertices() and I suspect
I am not the only one.

I think the root of the problem is the change from python2
to python3. In python2 |["A",1].sort()| works fine, while
it doesn't work in python3.

My recommendation is to reverse engineer python2.sort() and
use it as a custom function for sorting heterogeneous vertices.
In this scenario, the code won't be more broken than it was
in python2.