I expect to receive lots of flak for saying this, but I support making
libjpeg be a standard spkg using the source code from
https://libjpeg.sourceforge.net.  I just built version jpeg-9e on Ubuntu
18.04 and macOS 10.13.  The standard ./configure ; make install method
works flawlessly - not even any warnings.  The build is fast and the
package is small.  Installing it in sage/local/lib will be simpler, faster
and more reliable than guessing where it might be found on any of the
zillion systems that Sage runs on.  Also, unlike  the turbo alternatives,
it does not depend on fancy features of Intel hardware which will not be
available on old Intel CPUs or recent Arm CPUs.

- Marc