Thanks, David, for opening this (overdue) discussion with your thoughtful
post.

I would like to put it in a larger context. I'm sure most here would agree
that we want our project to be trustworthy for current and future users, to
be welcoming to new users and developers, and to maintain a kind,
productive, and caring atmosphere within our community.

I would welcome amendments to our Reviewing Code
(https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/review.html) to align it with
these goals. Describing a standard conflict resolution mechanism along the
lines that David proposed is certainly a necessary improvement. But more
than that is needed; the principles of our Code of Conduct
(https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md) provide
some guidance.

Matthias