On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 2:31:24 PM UTC-6 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

> The venv would always contain a pyvenv.cfg file.

Could you explain why this matters for what you have in mind?

It is not essential.  It is just cleaner and more uniform.  I think it is
misleading to have something called a venv which is missing one of the key
required features of a venv.  And in the past I was misled by that.

 Also, it suggests something which I think would be an organizational
improvement.  It could stop being the case that sage/local *never* contains
any python.  Instead sage/local would be the prefix for Sage's installation
of Python in the case where a system python is not being used.  The rule
could be that if sage/local/lib/pythonX.Y exists then its site-packages
subdirectory should be empty, with all Python packages being installed in
the venv.  The venv would be a true venv and its symbolic link to an
installed python would either be to the python installation in sage/local
or to a python installation elsewhere on the system.

I would also suggest putting the venv at the top level, adjacent to local,
rather than have a symlink adjacent to local which points into
sage/local/var/sage.  I would find that to be a much more transparent
layout.

- Marc