>From config.log:
# ------------------------------------------------------ ##
## Checking whether SageMath should install SPKG meson... ##
configure:37902: checking for meson >= 1.2.0
configure:37986: result: /home/owner/.local/bin/meson
configure:37997: will use system package and not install SPKG meson

I'd suggest to check where /home/owner/.local/bin/meson is coming from and
if the problem goes away if you either remove /home/owner/.local/bin from
PATH and re-run "configure", or alternatively use "./configure
--without-system-meson".