Description of RunTimeError from docs.python.org: "Raised when an error is
detected that doesn’t fall in any of the other categories. The associated
value is a string indicating what precisely went wrong."

It is for exceptions that cannot be categorized, so I believe it is indeed
just a catch-all error (but must have a description), and there is no
expectation that such an error is particularly serious. (A situation where
"an assumption that I never expected to be violated fails" can raise
AssertionError.)