We added the packages as optional "pip" packages
(see
https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/developer/packaging#package-types

for the terminology), each more than 1 year ago.

-
https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/reference/spkg/pytest#spkg-pytest

(added in 2020)
-
https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/reference/spkg/pytest_mock#spkg-pytest-mock

(added in 2022)
-
https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/reference/spkg/pytest_xdist#spkg-pytest-xdist

(added in 2022)
-
https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/reference/spkg/python_build#spkg-python-build

(added in 2022)

"pytest" is the current gold standard for running tests of Python packages.
Various standard packages in the Sage distribution already declare pytest
in "dependencies_check" as a conditional dependency for use when
SAGE_CHECK=yes is set. By making pytest a standard package, I would hope to
help revive the effort to make Sage compatible with pytest, largely stalled
after 2022 as the main author shifted his focus to other modes of impact on
Sage development. This is part of a larger effort to "adopt mainstream
Python testing/linting infrastructure" (see
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/28936). The other pytest_* packages
are related technical packages.

"python_build" (a.k.a. pypa/build) is the current standard front-end for
making source distributions and wheels from a Python source tree. It has
replaced the deprecated practices of calling "setup.py sdist" or "setup.py
bdist_wheel" directly. We already use it for building the modularized
distribution packages. Making it a standard package will allow us to
modernize the build infrastructure of the Sage library.
(See https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/35618)