Le lundi 26 février 2024 à 12:59:47 UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik a écrit :

[ Snip... ]

 Are you saying that only PRs can block a release?

But how does one even report a very serious issue, without offering a ready
fix?
Are you saying one should use other channels of communication for this?
(Which is weird, to say the least).

*Note :* having a way to allow a "plain Sage *user*" (i. e. someone that
"just uses Sage" without being a developer nor having a Github account) is
a very important feature; We had this in `trac`, and lost it when switching
to Github. Currently, the only way an ordinary user can report an issue is
to wail in `sage-support` and pray for a kind developer soul to create the
relevant issue(s).

Back to labels : the confusing part is that, as far as I understand, labels
are used to qualify both *PRs* (e. g. `needs_review`, `needs work` and
*issues* (e. g. `minor`, `major`, `critical`, `blocker`).

*Both* uses are necessary. But the wording may need a bit of reworking. In
the case of `blocker`, there are two possible uses :

-  Issue : the report documents a case where Sage gives a seriuosly wrong
answer, never returns or crashes (I've seen al these cases).

- PR : the fixer or the reviewer report a case where some change in
Sagemath *must* be implemented in the next release (or in the next beta :
we might distinguish those two cases ?) in order to keep, say, consistency
or convention, or allow use of other (present or future) parts of Sage.

Similar distinct use cases come to mind for other labels, such as `minor`
or `major`). Unless there is an alternative to the `labels` mechanism, we
should have at least distinct labels for `PR` and `issue` usages.

Yes, with a good probability, such a huge breakage will be noticed by
Volker, but what if not? Or for quite some time such a breaking issue won't
be noticed?

Or (as I propose) only blocker PRs fixing the "blocker" Issues forbid the
release manager to make a release?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/0638e722-ddb2-4112-a721-7a25c11b5882n%40googlegroups.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/0638e722-ddb2-4112-a721-7a25c11b5882n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.