Dima's suggestion is appealing, and somewhat along those lines, I like the
idea changing Sage to use some standard documentation style
(https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/31044). If the program provides a
technical writer, though, those may not be suitable goals. A quick glance
at least year's awards suggests a focus more on the writing and the
content, not how it is technically presented or generated.

I don't know the whole history of our documentation, but at least some
versions of it were written by people with no knowledge of how to write
good software documentation — speaking only for myself and the parts that
I've worked on. I'm guessing that a technical writer's eyes might spot
things and see ways to improve them. We have lots of documentation, and I
think that some of it is very good, probably explains lots of things
clearly, but it may not always be written with the right audience in mind.
I think we could use more organization surrounding the tutorial, the
thematic tutorials, the PREP tutorials, constructions in Sage, a tour of
Sage, and the FAQ; this could very well make the documentation more
accessible and allow users to find documentation at the right level and
with the right content for what they're trying to do. All of that is the
documentation that we hope new users look at, and in my opinion that's
where we should focus.