Bill Allombert has been working on a kernel via xeus:
https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/git/xeus-gp.git/
Which addresses many of the issues with the current one.
While we for its first stable release, I recommend mine:
https://github.com/edgarcosta/gp_kernel/
where I have addressed many of the issues, by going through the route that
every cell is a temporary file, which is loaded in gp.