One scenario where I could see this being beneficial:
These configurations are written into `$HOME/.sage` (normally), so that is
not a location that is predicated by a venv or a localized subdir. If a
user is using two different sagemath installs (e.g., one system, the other
for development) that have incompatible ipython configs, they need to live
in places that allow peaceful co-existence. This would do it. I agree the
version number can look confusing, It seems like a historic artifact that
we didn't need to change our ipython configs since version 5.0.0, probably.
It looks to me like a fairly arbitrary choice how to mark that directory
name. Not changing it would be the easiest solution, but if someone wants
to make an argument that another naming convention has benefits (following
common practices that have since evolved?) it could be changed, at the
expense of everyone with an install needing to change locations of files
they already customized. So based on that, I think the best time to change
it (if at all) would be when an incompatible change in config is happening
anyway.