We (not just Sage, but you and I!) have been discussing this for
almost 15 years.

Haha, true!

SageMath has several other long-term contributors who also package
software. We're all roughly on the same page about what it would take
to fix the sage installation for end users.

And some of these people (perhaps kiwifb?) have not been as directly
involved in some of the recent disputes.   Maybe there is a path forward (I
also presume the CoCC is thinking about this).

But so far, every attempt to disentangle the
library/distribution to enable this division of labor has been met
with resistance by essentially one person.

Well, more accurately there must be a critical mass of people who, like
Kwankyu in some recent comments (apologies for not having link to hand),
want to trust that the related process undertaken by that person is worth
doing, and to let that proceed.  Otherwise they would have spoken up, as
many longer-term developers are not shy of doing so on other matters.

Regarding WSL in Dima's post, I
thought https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37184 (and the followups)
addressed this quite a bit - that was what I was referring to.  If I could
get it to work, I think anyone could.  But I didn't try Jupyterlab, maybe
that's not included in it.  Anyway, I was definitely not referring to
anyone who knows what "apt-get" is in WSL.  So am I right in your saying
that Jupyter wouldn't work "out of the box" with Sage with the conda-based
solution for WSL?  To me, that's an argument *for* batteries, not against.

Same applies for the MacOS version provided by 3manifolds, my assumption
was that this would work "out of the box" if you do sage -n jupyter or
something.  That assumption could be wrong - but again, why put additional
barriers to the user?  "Normal" software that "normal" i.e. non-developer
people use in the real world doesn't do that.  Why make that a prerequisite
for just doing math?  I hate to beat the dead horse of the now-debatable
mission statement, but does Mathematica make you separately download and
install a notebook?   Even LaTeX has this problem - you have to install the
distribution separately from TeXShop or what have you - and just like the
developer friction noted here, it's a little bit of extra friction.

> What fragmentation are you talking about?

I meant that it's a bit silly (from the Mac or Windows perspective) that
one even needs Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, Fedora, or anything else on
the massive (and probably incorrect) list on
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions
 That's a massive duplication of effort right there.

> It has to be formulated and agreed upon in general lines, otherwise such
a summit would be a waste of time.

Agreed.  All of my points are irrelevant compared to getting us back on
some consensus track.  That means toning down the rhetoric and candidly
saying what sub-optimal concessions might be on the table (to be clear, for
everyone).  It's clear now that at least two visions for Sage
packaging/modularization which, in their current technical state, are
viewed by stakeholders as colliding in their purest forms, but it seems
unlikely that Sage is not Turing-complete enough to support a modus vivendi.