On 20 April 2024 08:56:30 BST, 'Martin R' via sage-devel
<sage-devel@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>A follow-up question: do I understand correctly that common lisp (via
>maxima) is the main dependency that prevents sagemath from being
>pip-installable?

pip install sagemath-standard

already works in a venv on a box with enough deps
installed. Takes lot of time. To fix this,
anyhow, someone has to make their hands dirty and do to Lisp interface what's
done to Pari/GP (cypari)
PPL (pplpy), primecount (primecountpy), etc.
Apart from Lisp, there is GAP (with the corresponding effort stalled).

That's what is much more urgent than attempting to slice up the maths
functionality of sagelib.

Dima