On Friday, April 19, 2024 at 12:36:26 PM UTC+1 Peter Mueller wrote:

@Dima, thanks, I know that though. Nevertheless, I now started from anew
(that is I removed the sage directory and git-cloned sage to make sure that
there are no remains causing trouble). After running configure, the script
suggests to `sudo pacman -S eclib fflas-ffpack linbox nauty singular`.

these suggestions are often bogus (and it's the case here). There is not
check done on whether these are actually installed - it's only checking
whether such a package is available for your OS, but not going to be used
by Sage.

However, all these packages are installed: `pacman -Q eclib fflas-ffpack
linbox nauty singular` returns
eclib 20240408-1
fflas-ffpack 2.5.0-1
linbox 1.7.0-1
nauty 1:2.8.8-2
singular 4.3.2.p16-1

The possibly relevant snippets of the config.log are

[...]
It was created by Sage configure 10.4.beta3, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.72.  Invocation command line was

  $ ./configure --enable-bliss --enable-cbc --enable-csdp --enable-dsdp
--enable-gap_p
ackages --enable-libnauty --enable-mcqd --enable-msolve
--enable-pari_galpol --enable-
scip --enable-scip_sdp --no-create --no-recursion
[...]
hostname = wma7117
uname -m = x86_64
uname -r = 6.8.5-arch1-1
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu, 11 Apr 2024 01:47:33 +0000

/usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
/bin/uname -X     = unknown

/bin/arch              = unknown
/usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
/usr/bin/hostinfo      = unknown
/bin/machine           = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
/bin/universe          = unknown

PATH: /home/mueller/.codon/bin/
PATH: /home/mueller/.codon/bin/
PATH: /home/mueller/local/copt/bin/
PATH: /usr/local/sbin/
PATH: /usr/local/bin/
PATH: /usr/bin/
PATH: /usr/bin/site_perl/
PATH: /usr/bin/vendor_perl/
PATH: /usr/bin/core_perl/
PATH: /home/mueller/local/bin/
PATH: /home/mueller/Adm/local/bin/
PATH: /home/mueller/local/gurobi/linux64/bin/

and

## Checking whether SageMath should install SPKG singular... ##
## --------------------------------------------------------- ##
configure:49864: checking whether any of gmp ntl flint readline mpfr cddlib
is installed as or will be installed as SPKG
configure:49869: result: yes; install singular as well
configure:50085: no suitable system package found for SPKG singular

well, this looks relevant.  "any of gmp ntl flint readline mpfr cddlib is
installed as or will be installed as SPKG"
these are Singular's dependencies, and possibly not all of them are on your
OS.
In particular, flint is not there - you need Flint 3, and it's only in the
very latest Ubuntu, cf.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=flint

You might want to install latest flint3, 3.1.2, into /usr/local/, and
try again.
This will be dodgy, and not really very good idea,
as your Singular is built with flint2,  I suppose...

Dima

dim...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 19. April 2024 um 12:08:01 UTC+2:

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 02:28:13AM -0700, 'Peter Mueller' via sage-devel
wrote:
> I just figured out that the installation from source (even with the
> explicit configure option `--with-system-singular`) on an up to date arch
> linux machine ignores the installed singular (`pacman -Q singular`
returns
> `singular 4.3.2.p16-1`). Not sure if it is a path problem that makes the
> configure script fail to detect the singular installation.
The 1st thing 1st,
if your source install already has singular built, you need to uninstall
it, for ./configure to pick up the system-wide one.

if you post your config.log we can tell you more on why it goes wrong.

Dima

email to sage-devel+...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/a671ea8e-e0c5-4dbe-9510-5139c9bb24ffn%40googlegroups.com.