On Sat, 2024-04-20 at 12:53 -0700, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

> Do we have the manpower necessary to such development ? .

Linux distributions (or e.g. Conda) already do it for us.

What we don't have is the manpower to do what we currently do, but
*correctly*. The sage distribution sucks. Lots of packages are
outdated. Our ./configure detection system doesn't understand complex
requirements. It can't do dependency resolution (can't tell if a
package is needed or not). System and SPKG packages can't be mixed. We
can't pass ./configure options to the packages we build. We don't have
different classes of (build, runtime, test) dependencies. Our build
scripts are random collections of shell code. Our tests don't pass. We
can't rebuild for ABI breakage. We don't support multiple versions of
packages. The standard/optional system is inconsistent. We can't push
security fixes to users. In fact, we don't even bother to look for
security issues in the first place.

Everything's easy if you do a bad enough job at it.