On Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 9:48:32 AM UTC+9 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

On Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 6:50:05 PM UTC-7 Travis Scrimshaw wrote:

That model is not how we have worked as a community, nor do I think it is a
productive way to run a smaller developer community such as ours.

I'm not sure what your reference point may be for this description, but in
my experience it has not been remotely like this ever since I started
contributing to Sage (2015). The project's infrastructure (in the past, for
example Trac or the patchbot) has been run by volunteer administrators; the
wiki page https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/Infrastructure is intended
to keep track of it (though much info is likely outdated), and there is a
closed mailing list "sagemath-admins" for those involved.

Maintaining the infrastructure, yes. However, the way it interacts with the
developers and the things that are forced upon the developers. Things that
affect everyone have traditionally gotten at least a post on sage-devel
notifying about the change before it is accepted, with potentially an
exception for those from our BDFL. The issue at hand is not some background
maintenance or something that can be ignored if desired.

To this point, I cannot (effectively) disable it because the bot
automatically is adding it every time a change occurs.

Perhaps a good reference:
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/understanding-open-source-governance-models

That's not relevant to how we do things. You could argue that we should
follow one of those, but that is separate.

Best,
Travis