> I don't think such permissions are needed to authorise CI runs. AFAIK,
any member of "triage" can do the latter - unless this recently changed.

As a member of the triage team, I confirm that *I don't have the rights *to
manually authorize CI runs, but the CI checks run automatically when I push
commits to my branches.

When you are not part of the triage team, the CI checks does not run
automatically and someone with "write" permission needs to activate them.
Since Triage does not grant "write" permission, it is not possible for me
to start the CI manually on a PR made by someone not part of either.

I think there are three solutions:
- give write permission to people of the Triage team that ask them
- include new developers in the Triage team
- ask for someone with "write" permission to start the CI runs on a
specific PR.

I personally think the three options are fine.