>Though I've never been to ISSAC (someone who has been, correct me if
>I'm wrong), I get the impression that many of the people there would
>have little C programs and scripts that they use/develop for
>research. If this is the case then I think it would be worthwhile
>expanding on the interfaces portion about how Sage can easily
>interact with C and command line programs, do non-trivial text
>processing, and put it all together in one cohesive mathematical
>environment.

I've been to a fair number of the ISSAC conferences going back into
the late 80s. I'd characterize the attendees as the group of people
who have developed computational mathematics algorithms. The whole
proceedings from 2007 is algorithms of one sort or other. Most of
these people have developed a CAS or used a CAS as their primary
platform, although by looking at the 2007 papers it is not clear where
some of the work was done, but some are quite specific, as in:

  Jeffery-Hamel Flow with Maple

Paul Zimmermann had a paper that used C++ and GMP.
Jacob Smith, Gaby Dos Reis and Jaakko Jarvi used Axiom.

In general, I don't see reference to the systems or the source
code that was used to do the research. As you might guess, I find
this flaw to be pretty fundamental. If most of the work were done
in Sage, perhaps the "standards of publication" might change.

Tim Daly