On Nov 25, 2008, at 7:53 AM, mabshoff wrote:

> Cool. I would suggest we open a ticket so that integration in Sage
> defaults to any of MMA, Maple, Maxima, Axiom and Sympy. That way
> running the test suite (at least for performance) would become trivial
> and I would also think that many users might find that feature useful.
> Extra points for making this a generic framework and then creating
> categories for integration, limits and so on so that one could easily
> make Sage use a default system for those categories.

I really like this idea and it fits with something William said a few
days ago. However, this could be very challenging. I think FriCAS
currently returns the results in text form so you can't really do much
with it and calls to SymPy will convert any powers with ^ to **, but
not back. Plus, we need to be able to use Maxima's various simplify
commands with the results (so far, its simplify_full() does the best
job out of the various things I've tried). Oh, and this system would
need to know about the various integration function signatures (e.g.,
Maple uses int() to integrate).

The other thing is that this system should support the new symbolics
as well. Currently, if you choose to use the new symbolics, you can't
integrate.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo