>...[snip]...
>...                                           Van Lindberg points
>out implicit licenses are not legally binding and presents a legal
>horror story of one guy "contributing" code he do not own to an OS
>sourceforge project, only to be bankrupted by lawsuits and SF
>being required to remove his code.
>...[snip]...

I'm working my way through the same book. I'm afraid there is no
defense against any lawsuit brought against an open source project.
The cost to defend against a lawsuit implies that the any unfunded
open source project immediately loses. It is a classic case of
justice being blind (to financial imbalance).

Of course, most lawyers will tell you that you only embark on a lawsuit
in order to gain money. "On principle" lawsuits, that is, not for
financial gain but to prove a point, assume that you're willing to
risk a huge loss against a balance of "I was right". If you have that
much money to burn then the lawyer's fee will be quite a bit higher. :-)

The person bringing the lawsuit has to have "standing", or legal
interest. So that is either (A) the contributor of the patch or
(B) the original owner of the code.

Somehow it seems unlikely that a person contributing a patch (case A)
would bring, or could win, a lawsuit if they posted the patch to the
open source project mailing list. (Never say never, however.)

If the original owner of the code complained (case B) then I would
think that an open source project would abide by the "notice and
takedown" provision of the DMCA. Given this provision, I'm certain
that any open source project would "do the right thing", back out the
patch, and rewrite it. Thus, I think the DMCA would cover this case.
The "notice and takedown" provision would seem to provide a safe harbor.

Standard industry practice on half a million open source projects
does not include an "I have signed over my copyright on this particular
patch" button. A general copyright judgement making the current practice
illegal would wipe out the free software movement overnight (except for
the FSF work, but they have paid lawyers).

Also note that Sage is not covered by the "safe harbor" provisions
of the copyright law. The safe harbor provisions allow the use of
copyrighted material for educational, research, and scientific use.
But the stated goal of the Sage project is to compete with the
commercial software and does not qualify.

Tim Daly (not a lawyer)