You all make good points. Certainly more documentation for applied
stuff is called for, and I really like the idea of a configuration
command to avert having to maintain a separate version. Didn't even
think of that!

As regards size, I do think that it would be an important factor. I am
much more likely to DOWNLOAD and try out a program if it were, say, 80
Mb than half a Gb. Similarly, I am more likely to try out a 10 Mb than
a 70 Mb download.

It's all about acquiring a bigger audience in the applied fields.
There is certainly the impression out there that Sage is MAINLY a CAS
system (as opposed to a numerical system), and more geared towards
pure mathematicians than engineers, physicists, and applied
scientists. A separate and clear way to configure or to download an
engineering version (say through a separate webpage), that is well
advertised, would go a long way in helping Sage as a whole. Just my
humble opinion.

Hazem