Hi Burcin,

Thanks for the explanation!

> "Symbolic ring" is an unfortunate name. It doesn't mean much from the
> "mathematical point of view." It's just where all the symbolic stuff
> live in Sage. Maybe we should call it symbolic parent.

I agree that the naming is unfortunate. I think it would be a good
idea to add this remark in the documentation.

> AFAICT, most non mathematician users prefer to work with symbols
> instead of using the algebraic structures directly.

I hope this idea is not based on Maple and MMA having such symbolic parents.
In any case i think it should be easy to explain what is happening,
although some users are not aware.

In your example t=3 is in ZZ_5 and u is a function from ZZ_5 to ZZ_5,
mapping n to 3^n. So although some users may be not aware, they are
actually working over the ring ZZ_5.

What i do understand is that for example elements in QQBar should be
represented by symbols (sqrt(2) instead of a numerical value 1,... or
pi instead of 3.14... ).

An computer algebra system should be able to manipulate these symbols,
such that it is mathematically correct in a given algebraic structure.
I think that the output is then both for mathematicians and non
mathematicians better understandable, and such symbolic inputs are
also more human readable.

Sorry if i am stating the obvious here, the reason is that i am trying
to explain why i think it should be (either implicit or explicit)
clear over which algebraic structure is computed.

Cheers,

Niels